Service excellence is not just a catchphrase at Henderson Hutcherson & McCullough (HHM CPAs). It is what we are committed to delivering to each and every client. For over 30 years, HHM has provided public accounting services to the Chattanooga area and beyond. We have built our business one relationship at a time. We seek service excellence and your satisfaction as our main objectives. These are the qualities about HHM that make us trusted business partners.
ABOUT HHM: FIRM HISTORY
In 1981, a group of four partners acquired an 18-year-old certified public accounting practice. They set out right away to establish a firm that offers a wide variety of services for clients and a family-friendly environment for employees.
Chattanooga has been good to HHM CPAs, and the company has grown to provide an excellent work atmosphere and opportunities for advancement for its 13 partners and 70+ staff members for more than 30 years. The firm is thankful to be in a city like Chattanooga. This city’s individuals and professionals are striving to improve the quality of life offered here, both in the workplace and at home.
Since its founding, Henderson Hutcherson & McCullough, PLLC has used hard work and innovative solutions to establish itself as one of the region’s leading public accounting firms. Today, HHM is the largest locally-owned CPA firm in the Chattanooga area.
HHM puts its integrity, expertise, and energy to work for every client, helping each to meet financial challenges and benefit from business opportunities as they arise.
HHM offers a wide array of accounting and financial services designed to help our clients – both companies and individuals – reach their potential. The HHM dedication to service extends to the community through our commitment to volunteerism, civic involvement, and responsible work practices.
Located in downtown Chattanooga’s Southside, HHM occupies the beautifully restored Freight Depot, an anchor of the Scenic City’s railroad industry during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
THE HISTORIC FREIGHT DEPOT
One of only two railroad freight depots that remain in Chattanooga, the Freight Depot at 1200 Market Street is one of the city’s oldest structures. First used as an iron foundry, the oldest part of the building was built in 1871. In 1894, it was converted into a freight depot by the old Eastern Kentucky and Georgia Railroad. That railroad was taken over by the Southern Railway in 1901.
Known for most of the 20th century as the Southern Railway Freight Depot, our building fell into disuse following the decline of the railroad industry. Later, it housed John’s Railroad Salvage during the late 1970s. In 1983, the depot was named as a National Historic Landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. By the end of the decade, the first phase of the Warehouse Row urban renewal project brought a mix of upscale outlet stores to the building – giving it new life.
Henderson Hutcherson & McCullough bought the Freight Depot in 2005 and worked with River Street Architecture for a historic renovation, starting with the removal of a past addition. This revealed the original Market Street facade. Most of the bricks from the building’s 19th-century construction and expansion stayed, bearing the name of the maker, Copeland-Inglis Shale Brick Company of Birmingham, Alabama.
HHM and the architects also chose to keep the floor’s gentle east-to-west slope, which, for decades, made moving unloaded freight easier for laborers. The use of partial walls inside exposed the beautiful wood of the original ceiling and trusses. This returned the authentic 19th-century character to the interior and brought a unique warmth and openness to the workspace.
Our conference room and kitchen tables were crafted from the original rafters and flooring that were removed during construction of the lobby staircase. The renovation was finished in February 2007. The Freight Depot is also home to HHM Wealth Advisors, LLC, Southside Creative Group, and Freight Depot Accounting, all affiliates of HHM.